Saturday 11 October 2014

Delicious Autumn Celeriac Soup

I don't know about you, but I love Autumn. I love the bronzing of leaves and the crunch of walking over them, I love the drop in temperature, but still the warm glow of the sun. I love the first frost and seeing your breath as you walk along a country lane. However, what I love most is the stews, pies and soups; oh yes the joys of One Pot Cooking!

People sometimes don't realise how quick and easy (and nutritious) soup can be. You have your classics, Tomato, Carrot & Corriander, Potato & Leek, what do they all have in common? Cheap, easy and based on healthy, colourful vegetables.

Today I want to elevate the Celeriac to first place and show off its earthy, nutty brilliance.

The WHAT? I hear you say. Yes the Celeriac, you have probably walked past it 100 times in the supermarket, well now it is time to dig deep and buy this weird looking bulbous vegetable, because its cheap and extremely tasty.

Source - http://www.taste.com.au/images/articles/celeriac06261152.jpg

Did you know that the Celeriac is related to the Carrot and packed full of goodness like Vitamin K, which is important for your bones. Also, it has been linked with helping against Alzheimer's disease having anti-cancer properties (1).

This soup took me perhaps 20 minutes start to finish and as I doubled the recipe it could feed 3-4 adults. All you need is celeriac, potatos, celery, garlic, onion and some seasoning. It could not be easier and you have no excuses to not give it a go. Also when you whiz it up you get a nice thick creamy texture that I just love. Just pop it into a bowl, sprinkle some black peper & chives on the top and away you go. Why not enjoy it with some crunchy, wholesome farmers bread?





The recipe I followed was just this simple one from the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homestyleceleriacsou_87169

1. - http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/celeriac.html

No comments:

Post a Comment